隋唐演义白话文:China offers largest donation to UN food agen...
来源：百度文库 编辑：九乡新闻网 时间：2023/03/21 22:16:12
China offers largest donation to UN food agency
08:08, August 22, 2011
BEIJING - China has donated 16 million US dollars to the World Food Program (WFP) to support its famine-relief operations in Somalia, said a WFP press release on Sunday.
It is China's largest single donation to WFP, adding the country's donation to WFP this year to $20 million, according to the release.
The donation will be directly delivered to WFP's food aid program in famine-hit Somalia, where about 1.5 million people are receiving emergency rations of food, said the release.
"It fully reveals Chinese people's greetings and heartful care for people around the world," said WFP Deputy Executive Director Amir Mahmoud Abdulla in the statement. China had emerged as an important donor for WFP programs around the world, he added.
Currently the core task of WFP's relief operations in Somalia is to provide ready-to-use food, which is effective in keeping teenagers from malnutrition, according to the release.
Somalia has been experiencing the most severe food crisis in African history. About 3.6 million people in the country are at risk of starvation, accounting for half of its population. More than half of all Somali children are undernourished, with six infants dying from malnutrition every day.
The WFP, founded in 1962, is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting global hunger.
Increases the bookmark
- Sina Microblog
- QQ Microblog
- China willing to play constructive role in peace process in Somalia: FM (2)
- China willing to play constructive role in peace process in Somalia: FM
- Chinese naval warship escorts shipments in Somalia
- China donates over 4 million dollars worth of aid for the AU mission in Somalia
- Somalia upbeat about trade relations with China
- Chinese gov't concerns safety of hijacked Taiwan ship and crew
- Chinese FM confirms a Taiwanese fishing boat hijacked off Somalia
- Chinese Navy sets sail for anti-piracy mission off Somalia
Leave your comment0 comments
- PD interview with U.S.Vice President Joseph R. Biden
- Aircraft carrier returns to port after maiden voyage
- China's first aircraft carrier reflects arms buildup
- PLA commanding officers appraised via integrated platform
- What explanation does US need about China's aircraft carrier?
- Guard against impulsive coverage of China's aircraft carrier
- US should not threaten balance in China relations
- Why China keeps increasing US debt holdings